Renal and related retroperitoneal abscesses: percutaneous drainage.
Renal and related retroperitoneal abscesses cause significant morbidity and mortality and almost always require drainage. The authors report 18 cases of percutaneous drainage of renal and related retroperitoneal abscesses, all of which were successfully managed. In 11 of these cases (61%), percutaneous drainage constituted the only treatment required. In the remaining seven (39%), the patients' clinical status improved after percutaneous drainage, and they were able to undergo subsequent elective nephrectomy with fewer complications. These results are comparable to those achieved with percutaneous abdominal abscess drainage and justify the use of percutaneous drainage for renal and related retroperitoneal abscesses as the therapeutic procedure of choice.
Sacks, D., Banner, M., Meranze, S., Burke, D., Robinson, M., & McLean, G. (1988). Renal and related retroperitoneal abscesses: percutaneous drainage.. Radiology, 167 (2), 447-451. Retrieved from https://scholarcommons.towerhealth.org/intervent_rad_read/130