Association of Later-Life Weight Changes With Survival to Ages 90, 95, and 100: The Women's Health Initiative.
BACKGROUND: Associations of weight changes and intentionality of weight loss with longevity are not well described.
METHODS: Using longitudinal data from the Women's Health Initiative (N = 54 437; 61-81 years), we examined associations of weight changes and intentionality of weight loss with survival to ages 90, 95, and 100. Weight was measured at baseline, year 3, and year 10, and participants were classified as having weight loss (≥5% decrease from baseline), weight gain (≥5% increase from baseline), or stable weight (
RESULTS: A total of 30 647 (56.3%) women survived to ≥90 years. After adjustment for relevant covariates, 3-year weight loss of ≥5% vs stable weight was associated with lower odds of survival to ages 90 (OR, 0.67; 95% CI, 0.64-0.71), 95 (OR, 0.65; 95% CI, 0.60-0.71), and 100 (OR, 0.62; 95% CI, 0.49-0.78). Compared to intentional weight loss, unintentional weight loss was more strongly associated with lower odds of survival to age 90 (OR, 0.83; 95% CI, 0.74-0.94 and OR, 0.49; 95% CI, 0.44-0.55, respectively). Three-year weight gain of ≥5% vs stable weight was not associated with survival to age 90, 95, or 100. The pattern of results was similar among normal weight, overweight, and obese women in body mass index (BMI)-stratified analyses.
CONCLUSIONS: Weight loss of ≥5% vs stable weight was associated with lower odds of longevity, more strongly for unintentional weight loss than for intentional weight loss. Potential inaccuracy of self-reported intentionality of weight loss and residual confounding were limitations.
The journals of gerontology. Series A, Biological sciences and medical sciences
Shadyab, A., Manson, J., Allison, M., Laddu, D., Wassertheil-Smoller, S., Van Horn, L., Wild, R., Banack, H., Tabung, F., Haring, B., Sun, Y., LeBlanc, E., Wactawski-Wende, J., LeBoff, M., Naughton, M., Luo, J., Schnatz, P., Natale, G., Ostfeld, R., & LaCroix, A. (2023). Association of Later-Life Weight Changes With Survival to Ages 90, 95, and 100: The Women's Health Initiative.. The journals of gerontology. Series A, Biological sciences and medical sciences https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1093/gerona/glad177